Every year, a new economic report is presented to the Governor of Utah. This past year, there were many amazing feats.
Utah led the nation in job growth for 7 months and ranked 2nd the remaining 5 months. Here are other top-level statistics from the report:
- Technology – Utah lived up to the nickname “Silicon Slopes” with impressive 7.7% growth in the information sector.
- Construction – Permit-authorized construction reached its highest level in 8 years with major projects downtown and at the nexus of Utah’s 2 largest counties.
- Leisure and hospitality – Utah’s leisure and hospitality industry added 7,900 jobs. Park City’s expansion created the largest ski resort in the country. This, combined with Utah’s “Mighty Five” national parks, prompted Fodor’s Travel to name Utah the top travel destination of the year.
- Exports – Utah’s merchandise exports continued to diversify with 4% year-over growth in non-gold exports. Utah exports support more than 50,000 jobs.
- Financial activities – Major employers like Goldman Sachs added a total of 2,600 jobs in the financial activities sector helping Utah earn a reputation as “Wall Street of the West.”
- Income – Median household income is growing at 2.6% in Utah, compared to 1.0% nationally.